As per the mandate of CBDT (Central Board of Direct Taxes), you need to link PAN card with your Aadhaar number. Failing to do so on time may make your PAN card inoperative. Resultantly, you will not be able to access the financial or other services for which an active PAN card is mandatory. If you have already missed the deadline to link these two cards, you can do so by applying online. Nevertheless, you have to pay Rs. 1,000 as a late fine to get this service.
Deadlines and Fines to Link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
Here is all you need to know about the deadline to link your Aadhaar number with your PAN card:
- After mandating the PAN-Aadhaar linking, the Indian Government set a deadline of up to March 31 2022, to complete the process. You would not have to pay any fine if you had linked these two cards within the stipulated time.
- You will have to pay a fine of Rs. 500 if you successfully link your PAN and Aadhaar cards within June 30 2022. Else, you will have to pay Rs. 1,000 as a fine.
Procedure to Pay Fine to link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
Here are the steps you need to follow to reactivate your PAN card:
- Step 1: Go to the official portal of the Income Tax (IT) Department of India
- Step 2: Access the service for the PAN Aadhaar link
- Step 3: Click on the payment link
- After this, the portal will redirect you to NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited) website
- Step 4: Select the ‘Challan No./ITNS 280’ option to proceed with linking the Aadhaar card with your PAN card
- Step 5: Choose the applicable tax as ‘(0021) Income Tax’
- Step 6: Tap on ‘Other Receipts’ as your payment type
- Step 7: Provide details of your address, PAN card and assessment year
- Step 8: Enter the CAPTCHA code
- Step 9: Make the payment
After this, you will complete your application process to link PAN card with the Aadhar card. You will also get your challan’s serial number and the amount you have paid displayed on the confirmation window.
Things to Know While Paying Fine for PAN-Aadhaar Linking
Following are some points you need to be aware of while you link these two cards:
- While generating challan for PAN-Aadhaar linking, you must choose ‘(0021) Income Tax’ as your major head code and ‘(500) Other Receipts’ as your minor head code. If you make any mistake and pay for a different head code, you will not be able to get any refund.
- The NSDL portal can take a few days to reflect your payment status. You need to check this detail at least after 4-5 days.
Services for Which PAN-Aadhaar Linking is Necessary
Following are some important services you cannot avail unless you reactivate your PAN card:
- Processing ITRs
You can file your ITR (Income Tax Returns) even without an inoperative PAN card. However, without a valid and active PAN card, the income tax department will not process your ITR request.
- Availing Banking Services
A PAN card is one of the most important KYC documents. You cannot complete your KYC if this card is not active. This way, it will be difficult for you to credit, debit or transfer money on or from your savings account.
- Getting Loan
The PAN card is also a must-check document for processing a loan request. Without this, it may be difficult for you to complete the documentation process. You may be unable to get financial assistance from your lender.
Nevertheless, while linking these two cards, you also need to ensure that your Aadhaar card credentials, such as names, dates of birth, address, etc., are correct. All these credentials must match the details mentioned on your PAN card to ensure the successful linking of these two cards. In this regard, you can easily update your Aadhaar detail offline or online to ensure that you face no hassles during PAN-Aadhaar link procedures.
How to Make Aadhaar Card Correction Online
Here are the steps you need to follow for Aadhaar card correction online :
Step 1: Go to the official UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) portal
Step 2: Hover through ‘Update Your Aadhaar’
Step 3: Select ‘Update Your Address Online’
Step 4: Tap on ‘Proceed to Update Address’
Step 5: Enter your Aadhaar number and CAPTCHA code
Step 6: Click on ‘Enter’
Step 7: Provide the OTP you have received on your mobile number that is linked with your Aadhaar card
Step 8: Enter your new residential details
Step 9: Attach a government-issued document as proof of your current address
Step 10: Submit your duly filled application form
After this, you will get an Update Request Number or URN. Save this number to trace your Aadhaar update status.
Nevertheless, you need to know that you can modify only your address details online by yourself. For any other changes, you need to visit any nearby Aadhaar enrolment centre.
To conclude, according to the government mandate, you must link PAN card with your Aadhaar number. Else, your card may get deactivated, and you may fail to avail of some financial services for which KYC verification is mandatory.
How Often Does Your Credit Score Update?
How to find out if your credit score has changed if you can’t wait to see an improvement? If you…
ICICI Bank vs Kotak Mahindra vs Yes Bank: Which shares to consider?
Whenever an economy rises from an abyss, the outlook of banking stocks improves by leaps and bounds. That is happening…